quarta-feira, 23 de fevereiro de 2011

Stats

Stats are very cool and useful, but you need to look at the numbers with a critical eye.

I found this video, via Etsy, with some input about the use of Google Analytics (which I use, for both my shop and this AMAZING blog). I watched the video and looked at my stats at the same time. It was very interesting. I didn't know what Bounce Rate was, and now not only do I know, but I found this to be very useful information.
If you use Google Analytics (GA) (or if you don't, but have a blog), you should watch this video:



One of the most interesting things on GA is the keywords thing. How do people get to my shop/blog through search engines? Sometimes I get really weird stuff and sometimes funny.
Now I remember a post by uncorked and I'll have to google it to give you the link because it was so funny.

(and now I'm really mad because I can't find it anywhere and Cat has gone on vacations, so I can't ask her, but I will and I'll show you that post, because I remember laughing so hard)

Well, one of the most interesting things is that most of my top search keywords are in fact, in.. Portuguese. So this is making me think that I should be writing more often in Portuguese, but actually, most of these people that get here because they typed "tricotar à mão" (hand knitting) or "tricot" (knitting) have a very high percentage of Bounce Rate. Meaning, they get to my blog and immediatelly leave (i'm guessing someone looking for a hat pattern in Portuguese and getting here and seeing all this weird wire, THIS ISN'T KNITTING they say, but it is!)

Se chegou aqui porque procurava no google "tricotar à mão", os meus trabalhos, são de facto, em tricot!

(if you got here because you typed "hand knitting" on google, my work is in fact knitted!)

Some of my visitors got here because they typed thesis. Poor guys. I feel for you.

But there's a weird thing that has been happening since I started using GA (2 years ago? I can't remember).
Almost every month someone gets here by searching for "pulseira pele cobra" (snake skin bracelet).
EEEeeeewwww! Who wants a snake skin bracelet?

3 comentários:

aegeansea disse...

Very useful info & thanks for sharing with us! Keywords are amazing...how they get the customer there!

Nathalie disse...

I'll go watch the video. Thanks for the link.
I get some strange words too...like chtulhu clock O_o

Dawn of LaTouchables disse...

very funny--I loved this post!